Family time fast forward

Last week Brent and I made the decision to join our church family in a 21 day fast. We needed to do this as a family. I knew it would not be easy but it would be beneficial. We need to focus more on time spent as a family in prayer, reading the Bible and getting closer to God. The week since making that decision has been extremely high stress, exhaustion filled and down right discouraging. Satan took up a stomping ground in my head and my home. It was the perfect example of just why our family needs to do what we are getting ready to do.

Choosing the type of fast was easy. The Daniel Fast for Brent and I and a modified version for our five kids. I am not so hung up on what we can not have but what we will gain by doing this. I really hope that mindset pays off as we press forward. My biggest concern is my own endurance. I love to eat! Meat, cheese, ice cream, cake, sour cream oh yes to me it is all good so giving it up will take will power. Brent while concerned about what he can not have is more concerned about doing this right. He does not want to accidentally consume something that is not fast approved. Our children latched on to the healthy foods concept but some are having a hard time understanding pizza and subway are not included in the fast.

In all actuality my day to day will not change much. With a large family and two small children who believe they should eat every hour on the hour and half hours in between I will still be spending most of my time preparing and serving meals even on the days I choose to abstain. I will still be cleaning, washing, vacuuming and sweeping while keeping children in line and getting them to various places on time. No none of that will change. The change will come in the time we take to deliberately as a family sit down and read the Bible. There will be even more change as we try to discuss what we read. I admit that will likely be more hysterical then spiritual as in trying to explain the concept of fasting to our four year old he got pray together and play together mixed up and was very excited about the whole thing. The biggest and I feel the most beneficial will be the time we take to pray together as a family. I do realize there will be days that these three simple things will be extremely difficult. The battlefield will be our own time and what we choose to do with it. Distractions will come in from every direction. I am ready to fight for my family to make this happen and to see God through it.

Today we read from 1 Samuel 10 where Saul is filled with the power of God. To be filled with God's power the very thought makes me giddy! God can do that He can fill you up and use you to do so many wonderful things. Saul was scared though he hid when they sought him out to crown him king. I know that feeling. I can relate. I find it hard to step out from behind my cover as wife and mom to do what God has called me to do. The person I see myself as and the person God sees me as seem totally different. Why do I find it so difficult at times to just step out and be the woman God has called me to be? God has done to me just what He did to Saul. He put a big sign over my head saying 'Here she is!". Others see it and seek me out. I get excited every time that happens yet somehow I still find it very hard to just jump out and do it all on my own.

I am eager and excited to see just what God has in store for our family over the next three weeks. A deeper walk with Him, a better understanding of His word and a stronger desire to seek even more of Him as life goes on for each and every one of us is my desire, my goal in doing this fast as a family. I want our areas of biggest struggle to become our areas of biggest victory! God is so good His mercy and His blessings have been so abundant already this year and it is just beginning. I praise Him for all He is doing for my family and my friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GIVEAWAY TODAY!!

iTovi