I got my break

Saturday was wonderful. I finally got the break my overworked, stressed out, exhausted self needed. I love my children and my husband so much more then anything else in this world actually, but sometimes I just need to get away. I did just that this past Saturday.

Brent had to go in to work for just a little bit on Saturday morning and as soon as he got home I packed up my big old purse and ran out the door. Ha more like unpacked it since I had to pull out all the diapers, wipes and snacks I usually tote around with me.

First I went to WalMart leaving all preconceived notions of a budget behind me and carrying my list in my head. Two big no no's! I especially know this having taught both FPU and coupon classes not to mention the couples we have counseled on budgeting but Saturday was my day to rebel and so I did. I grabbed some supplies for my coupon binder, note books to keep track of prices at different grocery stores and a book (fiction of all things) for myself.  No coupons for any of that stuff but checking out was fun as the lady at the register picked up the book to scan it and goes "Oh you read?". Um is it that obvious that I have no time for such things even when I have no children with me? Having no clever response I just said yes and we conversed a few minutes longer about Authors I had never heard of and my own Dave Ramsey quip since lately Ramsey and coupon books are the only thing other then my Bible I take the time to look at.

A call from my husband as I left WalMart brought me back to reality for a minute. He needed to know where the bathroom cleaner was. Oh did I mention the fact that he was at home with all five kids? And that the three older ones had a check list of jobs they needed to complete in order to earn their weekly commission? Oh yes, daddy got to supervise them cleaning the bathrooms, sweeping floors, vacuuming, cleaning up bedrooms and the living room, collecting trash and wiping the kitchen table while teaching the younger two to be helpers. I came home to a clean house! The only job left was laundry and having Hunter take out all of the trash. Skylar had to re-sweep the floor as it did not pass mommy inspection but other then that it was wonderful.

Then on to the Mall. I had to get a few things at Sears including jeans for Liberty and Hunter. Fortunately everything I wanted was on sale and the jeans they needed were too. I had a $10 off  coupon and donated a $1 to Hero's At Home. I still got a bit flustered trying on clothes even without children but that is just me. I have never really gotten into the full enjoyment of clothes shopping. I also popped into Game Stop while I was there and picked up a used game fore my hubby. It was just my way of saying thanks.

On to the commissary. Now this is where I really enjoyed shopping with no budget and no list. I walked the aisles looking for deals and matching them with coupons. It was a blast! I spent $20 on lunch to take home and share with my husband Sushi and Italian Subs which was really great. Plus another $60 on all the different things I just had to buy. I saved just over $17 with coupons and everything I bought was on sale. Shopping at the commissary has never been so much fun.

I felt so refreshed after my four hour shopping spree. I enjoyed being alone more then I had realized I even got to go into a bathroom alone but it was so nice to finally get home. Greeted by a happy husband and kids plus a clean house it was so nice. I expected a bit of a mess to be honest dishes piled high and screaming kids but was greeted by none of that. Brent helped me unload my loot and put it all away then we enjoyed lunch together.

Life resumed its normal break neck speed as Kady's cough developed into a full blown snot filled head cold and Justice being a dare devil took a dive off his chair and put his teeth through both lips. It was all much easier to handle this time compared to a week ago. I am laughing at my mistakes again or at least most of them. I thought for sure yesterday  was picture day for instance had everyone bathe and dress up nice only to realize minutes before heading to school that it was not picture day at all. In my stressed out state of mind the week before I got the dates all mixed up and picture day was actually today! So Brent and I laughed said oops and told the kids it was a drill and they did a great job. We did the whole thing all over again today and they looked great as we headed out the door. 

I think I will be squeezing more breaks like this into my life. Giving me time to reset after the crazy of the week or month depending on how often my husband can handle being alone with all the kids and house work. Some times I just need a break. The past two days I have actually managed to get done everything before nap time so that I have time to just be. Yesterday I read a book (the fiction book I bought at WalMart)as the house was actually quiet for a change. Today I am sitting here writing this but I feel the book calling my name so I think I am done. I also hear Kady calling my name but I am trying to ignore that one as she really needs a nap.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GIVEAWAY TODAY!!

iTovi