How Do You Do It?

I get asked that a lot, people always want to know just how I do something.
Most of the time I don't really know how I did it I just did.

How did you teach your two year old to read? I bet you read to him a lot!

He was my fourth child.
My husband was gone the first 18 months of his life give or take a few visits.
I broke my leg when he was eleven months old, yes while my husband was in another country in true military wife fashion.
In a nutshell my hands were full, my heart was heavy, unless you count those Harry Potter books I had my nose in every night after the kids were in bed, reading to my baby was not a top priority. Sorry! I knew what people wanted to hear when they marveled at my son reading a book from his stroller but, the truth was he spent a lot of time watching Signing Time and Super Why. Those two shows taught him everything he needed to know in order to pick up a book and start reading it. I applauded the mamas and the papas behind those two shows and gave them all the credit! Of course my son gets plenty of credit too, he is still far too smart for his own good and functions well two grades ahead of where he should be.

How do you go shopping with five kids?

Up until very recently I didn't have a choice, if we wanted to eat I had to grocery shop with five kids. My kids know I have no fear when it comes to spanking them in public which translates to me not having to do it very often. My oldest two were actually the biggest challenge once they matured a little bit it got much easier even though I still had three younger then them to keep track of. Snacks help, no not the kind you buy at check out, the kind you bring in a little bag in your purse, the kind that often leaves a little crumb trail in your wake. Most stores don't mind the crumbs and would rather that then a screaming child which brings me to the screaming child. It happens! Good grief we were all toddlers once, surely it is not that much of a stretch to put yourself in the toddlers shoes. Tired, hungry, thirsty, bored=screaming. I tried not to stress it when one of my munchkins turned into a monster it is part of moming it at the grocery store so just roll with it. Another tip to shopping with five kids is put them to work! They love to help and they learn valuable life lessons in the process to let them do it. If you are one of those shoppers who just can't help but stare or comment please don't. Moms have heard it all and seen it all, getting hassled by a passerby for the amount of children they have or how many cartons of milk and boxes of cereal they put in the cart is not helpful just keep walking.

How do you homeschool?

Well, that one is actually simple. I was homeschooled K to graduation so I was already equipped to handle this life style. Older children teach themselves they don't need much from you and younger ones work in spurts and wiggles so you have "breaks" inbeteween to knock out housework or a blog. It is challenging at times, I am thankful for the many advances homeschooling has made.

How do you work with five kids?

Again so simple, I make them work too. My older three know my set up routine on Wednesdays and the younger two help. Same with Sundays. Everyone has a job and as long as they do it we have no problems. They love to help in the kitchen too, so often my work turns into a home economics class.

How do you get your kids to behave so well?

Not tooting my own horn that is a legit question. We are frequently complimented on our children's behavior. What do you say to a question like that? Often I respond with an evil glint in my eye, " We have put the fear of God in them so they don't get out of line." Honestly our kids know the rules from no running to respect others and yourself, they know how to behave and usually that is what they do. As parents we are quick to respond to unbecoming behavior and disobedience so they understand very quickly what is not tolerated at home, in public or otherwise. I see all of that as pretty small potatoes though compared to this. Our family functions as a team. We work together, we play together, we learn together. There is no us against them our children are not a burden nor are they an inconvenience we must deal with. We enjoy being together. Having that mindset helps so much. Our kids behave because their parents behave. Our kids work, volunteer, think of others because that is what they see us doing. Oh sure we are all individuals we use that knowledge to run smoothly. We each have talents that contribute to the family team as a whole. If you want well behaved children set the example for good behavior and then get them to join your team. Teams practice together, play together, strive for unity together, they win together because they are all given a special role that they are great at. It has worked for us, maybe it will work for you to.

That is how I do it 😊 Go Team!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GIVEAWAY TODAY!!

iTovi