Happy Veterans Day

Happy Veterans Day to all who serve and all who served before them! Everybody knows my husband serves, but few know that I too once served this great country as a Med Tech in the US Air Force. It was a short stint as motherhood proved to be a more appropriate calling for my life. Regardless of how many years I was in, it was certainly a life changing choice and I am very glad I did it.

I am very thankful that my husband is actually home this Veterans Day! Usually he is gone or working, this year though he is recovering from a pretty intense ankle surgery. Not the greatest reason to be home but I will take whatever I can get.

Most years in the past I have bundled the kids into the car and found all the local restaurants giving a free meal to veterans. This year we bundled up the kids to drive into town during the first real snow fall of the year for Brent's first follow up appointment after his surgery. The surgery went well but there was far more damage then originally thought and recovery will not be quite what we had in mind.

Driving on icy roads is not my cup of tea, it is one of those I can do it but I won't like it things. I had to drop off my husband and oldest daughter at the front of the hospital and drive around for a good bit on icy back roads waiting for a parking spot to open up. Pretty sure I added a few gray hairs to my collection doing that. The good thing was the snow cover made parking spot lines impossible to see and two cars parked in such a way that I got a great big spot all to myself. Score! No door dings for that trip.

After his appointment was over we left the clinic armed with stronger pain meds, antibiotics, bandages and iodine.... Sounds like a party tonight at my house. I made a bee line for the one restaurant I know of in town that was giving away a free meal to veterans on Veterans Day... And it was packed! The hazards of remote city living I guess. I had an SUV with five hungry kids cheering as we pulled into the parking lot, drove thru it, made our exit... Cue up disappointed frowning faces! You know how it is when your not hungry until you pull up to the restaurant and all of a sudden your mouth is watering and your stomach is rumbling and you could eat the person sitting next to you? Well to save my children from turning into cannibals I had to think fast. Right across the street was this nice little Japanese restaurant and we love Japanese cuisine! I drove up, hopped out, ran in and asked about a military discount, then brought the entire crew in. I was offered the typical 10% off and we had the time of our lives, well for a lunch experience anyways. Fire balls, sake shots squirted right into ( age appropriate) mouths, lemon juice shots for the kids, broccoli being tossed in the air right into our mouths once again or laps, chairs, the floor, who cares; our waiter was the best and we had a great time. The manager gave us a VIP card for our future visits giving us 20% off, we all left with full tummies and happy faces!

After all that excitement we stopped at Starbucks for free coffee and not free but super yummy pumpkin spice lattes then headed home. Our day was pretty typical, just the normal family day in our book. I think that most veterans could say the same Veterans Day is just another day. We appreciate the discounts and the day off (maybe), we love that America recognizes the sacrifice we've made. We will never forget the ones who served before us and the legacy they have left for us to follow, the path they cleared for freedom to reign that the veterans of today are left to maintain. A big thank you to those who have served, and to those who are currently serving you are doing a great job please keep it up! Happy Veterans Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GIVEAWAY TODAY!!

iTovi